A Message From Jeff Speakman
Following His Recent Visit To Australia & NZ, We Received This Message…
“One thing that never fails to astound me is how the schools outside of the United States achieve and maintain the standard of excellence we demand in our 5.0 family. I mean after all, I see them twice a year maybe and yet they are on the same page we are here.
This speaks to the most important element of the success of our group, and that is that you have to care, a lot. Of course the value of having every technique, set and form on DVD shot from multiple angles helps. But still, think about the sacrifice and desire that goes into accomplishing this amazing goal. Add to that difficulty if English is not your first language, and maybe you don’t speak English at all. And yet this overwhelming success continues to happen year after year after year. Such was the case in my latest month long trip to Australia and New Zealand in August of 2014.
To say the least Kenpo 5.0 is in the best of hands in both countries. Starting in Melbourne Australia with Tony Angus, one of Australia’s finest black belts, to Brisbane with Don and Suzanne Woods and of course down to Sydney and MacArthur with Martin Gosling and the countries representative David Giovenco at the helm.
After Australia was my favorite place on Earth, New Zealand. Under the guidance of that countries Representative Simon Low the same outcome time after time. Our 5.0 Fighter Competition was held in Taranaki New Zealand under the direction of Shane and Tessa Wallacehoskin with another fantastic competition. Mark Robinson in Cambridge, Chris and Annette Church in Auckland with Alistair Van Mil, Shane Rynne, Kevin Watts and joining them is Paul Bryant also in Auckland. Those individuals and their students in both countries have been able to maintain the standard we have come to know as “SUSTAINED EXCELLENCE”. Roughly translated “sustained excellence” is adhering to the 80 20 rule. And that rule stipulates that at any given moment you or your students must be able to perform with excellence at least 80 percent of what they are telling me they know by the color of the belt around their waist “first call”. For the remaining 20 percent they get a second chance. This standard makes clear that we don’t take the belt color for granted, even if it is black belt with a bunch of red on it.
Honestly I never thought anyone would want to put up with my obsession and professionalism that has always been the minimum standard from my teachers. But as I went forward with the idea of just teaching what I know the way I way I know it then whoever came with me would be of like mind and spirit. And after all these years so many people from all around the world have become part of the Kenpo 5.0 family and therefore the solution for Kenpo. If you are part of the same consciousness then please reflect on this idea of building a bridge to the future so that the dream can stay alive for generations.
If you knew Mr. Parker, or read any of his works you would see inculcated throughout his writings was the idea of a continuous evolving and changing art so it would not become “obsolete”. This can’t be change for the sake of change or for the personal self aggrandizement to reach a position of ownership. It must be change that is centered in creating solutions to meet the call of the day and perpetuating the art of Kenpo. My desire is for you to reflect on these things and not be limited by adhering to claims of the card carrying members of the religion of the insecure who would have you not look outside the box. Reach, stretch, grow and become part of the solution, with or without us.” – Jeff Speakman
To view images from the 2014 Aus/NZ Tour please visit the Photo Gallery